Skin rejuvenation treatments are full face, neck, arm, hand or chest treatments using pulses of visible light that improve redness and flushing, as well as the visible signs of sun damage and aging such as brown age spots and skin blotchiness. Skin rejuvenation was developed as an innovative method to rejuvenate and improve skin. A non-laser device called an Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) delivers pulses of safe, effective, visible light. Specific settings are selected by your doctor to maximize improvement. A series of six or more treatments are performed at three to four-week intervals. The Skin rejuvenation treatments result in consistent, visible, permanent improvement in the skin with no downtime, little discomfort and minimal risk. With Skin rejuvenation treatments, red skin tones will be effectively eliminated and brown age spots and sun damaged aging skin will be improved.
What are the indications for Skin rejuvenation treatments?
Skin rejuvenation treatments are beneficial in the treatment of the following:
- Skinaging or sun damage – reduces fine wrinkling, freckling and irregular pigmentation
- Redness and flushing of the face, neck and/or chest
- Coarse, rough skin with large pores
- Irregularly pigmented skin
- Skin rejuvenation treatments reduce the overall redness, flushing and dilated capillaries, and may improve the breakouts of this common chronic facial condition.
- As an adjunctive procedure to laser resurfacing, chemical peeling, microdermabrasion, facelift procedures, Botox, fillers and all other non-ablative treatments.
What areas can be treated?
Skin rejuvenation treatments can be used on any part of the skin. They are especially effective for improving the appearance of the face, neck and chest, arms and hands.
What results can I expect?
You can expect to see a gradual improvement in overall skin color, brown sun spots, flushing and dilated capillaries. Many people with rosacea see an improvement in breakouts and are able to decrease or discontinue their medications. Individuals with visible aging from the sun can expect to see their skin become smoother, more uniform in color, with a decrease in fine wrinkles, reduction in pore size, and fading of sun spots. Skin rejuvenation can be combined with other skin enhancement and wrinkle reduction procedures including injectable fillers.
What is a Skin rejuvenation treatment like?
Each treatment takes approximately twenty to thirty minutes. A minimal amount of discomfort can be expected. Most patients require no anesthetic cream as the chilled hand piece makes the procedure quite comfortable. Occasionally, we use LMX 5 or other topical anesthetic creams. There is generally no discomfort after treatment. Immediately following treatment, the skin may appear red and flushed, and tiny capillaries may appear more visible. Brown spots generally appear slightly darker. All of these changes gradually fade over a period of hours to a few days.
How soon will I see results?
Even after the first treatment, the skin will often feel smoother and have a more even tone. These improvements are gradual and will be more visible after each treatment. Six treatments are performed for optimal results. For some patients maintenance treatments are beneficial, and can be performed about three to four times a year to help maintain the effect and also to continue to improve the skin.
Who are the best candidates for Skin rejuvenation treatments?
The best candidates for Skin rejuvenation treatments are:
- Individuals with early aging changes and sun damage that desire healthier, more youthful appearing skin
- Those with brown sun-induced age spots or skin that is blotchy with uneven skin pigmentation
- Individuals who suffer from rosacea and experience flushing and redness of their skin
- Individuals who don’t want to take the time off to heal from laser resurfacing or chemical peels
- Those who have had laser resurfacing or facelift surgery and want to enhance the effects
- Individuals being treated with chemical peeling or microdermabrasion who wish to enhance the final results